Welcome to the virtual campus of LSU Health Sciences Center – Shreveport (LSUHSC-S), which physically spans north Louisiana and serves as Louisiana’s premier tertiary referral center. Our campus family includes three degree-granting professional schools: Medicine, Allied Health Professions; and the School of Graduate Studies as well as three hospitals, all health-workforce training sites. Anchoring the network of LSUSHC-S hospitals and clinics is Louisiana’s major university teaching hospital, the LSU Hospital in Shreveport. Other LSUSHC-S hospitals include E.A. Conway Medical Center in Monroe and Huey P. Long Medical Center in Pineville. LSUHSC-S clinical resources include two state-designated academic Centers of Excellence, the Feist-Weiller Cancer Center and the Center of Excellence in Arthritis and Rheumatology; a NACHRI-member Children’s Hospital within a Hospital; and a Regional Burn Center. LSUHSC-S is one of only six hospitals in the nation affiliated with the world-famous St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Competitive basic and clinical biomedical research differentiates academic health sciences centers, and LSUHSC-S supports a vigorous research initiative. Together with its historically strong clinical components, the biomedical research program underpins the LSUHSC-S educational enterprise. Appreciating its role as a public resource, LSUHSC-S works collaboratively through affiliations and partnerships with other leading organizations and is a proud member of the Louisiana State University System.
LSUHSC – S Timeline
- March 2, 1876 - Act 40 of the Louisiana Legislature established the Shreveport Charity Hospital, located at Pierre Avenue and Ford Street.
- August 8, 1889 - Charity Hospital is relocated to Texas Avenue and Murphy Street.
- June 1, 1904 - A new Shreveport Charity Hospital is built at the Texas Avenue and Murphy Street location.
- March 27, 1926 - Fire at the Shreveport Charity Hospital causes $80,000 in damages.
- September 5, 1949 - Ground is broken for the new hospital facility at the corner of Kings Highway and Linwood Avenue. Dedicated in memory of the Confederate soldiers of the Civil War, the hospital was financed in part through the issuance of bonds secured by surpluses from the Confederate veterans’ and widows’ pension fund. The new hospital is named Confederate Memorial Medical Center.
- June 3, 1953 - The Confederate Memorial Medical Center is dedicated.
- June 7, 1965 - The School of Medicine is established in Shreveport in 1965. The first class of 32 medical students begins their studies on September 15, 1969 at the Veteran’s Administration Hospital. Edgar Hull, M.D. served as the School’s first Dean.
- September 16, 1971 - Dean Edgar Hull presides over the groundbreaking ceremonies for the five-building complex of the Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport located on Kings Highway.
- May 26, 1973 - The first class of 31 medical students graduates.
- July 1, 1973 - Clifford G. Grulee, M.D. is appointed as Dean of the School of Medicine in Shreveport.
- June 2, 1974 - The first Ph.D. candidate receives his degree from the Graduate School in Shreveport.
- August 1, 1975 - Ike Muslow, M.D. is appointed Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.
- October 28, 1975 – A new five-building LSU School of Medicine complex is dedicated.
- June 3, 1976 - The Confederate Memorial Medical Center (CMMC) celebrates its Centennial. The CMMC, established on March 2, 1876, was originally named the Shreveport Charity Hospital.
- October 1, 1976 - The Confederate Memorial Medical Center hospital merges with the LSU School of Medicine.
- 1977 - The School of Allied Health Professions in Shreveport is established as a branch of the New Orleans campus in 1977. Academic programs in Cardiopulmonary Science, Speech Language Pathology and Medical Technology are offered.
- July 28, 1978 - The name of the Hospital is changed from the Confederate Memorial Medical Center to the LSU Hospital by action of the LSU Board of Supervisors. The institution is known as the Louisiana State University Medical Center-Shreveport.
- February 1, 1982 - Perry G. Rigby, M.D. is appointed Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.
- September 1, 1986 - Darryl M. Williams, M.D. is appointed Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.
- February 17, 1993 - The ten-story Biomedical Research Institute building is dedicated.
- July 1, 1993 - Arthur M. Freeman, III, M.D. is appointed Dean of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport.
- July 2, 1999 - The institution’s name is changed from the Louisiana State University Medical Center to the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport, per Act 802 of the Louisiana Legislature.
- November 3, 2000 - John C. McDonald, M.D. is appointed the first Chancellor and Dean of the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.
- April 1, 2009 - Robert A. Barish, M.D. is appointed Chancellor and Dean of the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport.
1501 Kings Highway
P.O. Box 33932
Shreveport, LA 71130-3932
School of Medicine: 318-675-5190
School of Allied Health: 318- 813-2900
School of Graduate Studies: 318-675-7676
Registrar's Office: 318-675-5205
Academic & Student Affairs: 318-675-5339